Thursday, July 14, 2005

only we know what is talked about

i remember once hearing my brothers talk about the difference between asserting who you are and putting other people down to make yourself feel better. as i watch the kids at my internship interact along with my own interactions with people, i can't help but understand the difference now.

yes, you have your own taste in things such as clothes and music. and i have my own preferences. but putting me down for what i wear or what i listen to is trite if you are only doing it because my taste is different from you and threatening your own self-worth. just because it is different doesn't make it wrong, so don't make me or other people feel like we are freakish, when it is you (not you, literally) who is insecure with yourself. and even if you don't think it's wrong, marking it as different from you creates a rift between the two of us. and it makes it seem as though you are trying to differentiate yourself into a cooler level. so do us all a favor and stop putting other people down to make yourself feel better. it's not going to help you get over your insecurities.

may we all have the clarity of mind to recognize how to be true to ourselves

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home