Sunday, September 08, 2002

Status Report por el 8 de septiembre;

We came to the conclusion that we should just be friends. We both agreed that friends do hang out, especially in safe places like in public. We both agreed that I am not high-maintenance. We both agreed that one day he needs to grow up. We both agreed that we are not ready to move on yet. We are both okay.

And I am okay. I've been preparing for this. And on Friday night, I had this realization: that it has been almost 2 months since UG and I removed any titles from our relationship. Now we are back to the tiele of friends. But that' s cool.

One day last Tuesday, UG and I were at IKEA. And we saw this couple leave the furniture pick up area, the husband pushing his wife who was in a wheelchair with their baby and the cart with the furniture. And he said, "That's love."

UG confessed to me last Sunday (09/01/02) that he owned so many dress clothes because of me. Because I had told him that I liked guys who dressed up and had that GQ look, he bought dress shirts and slacks. However, towards the middle of our relationship we became such home bums that we never went out so that we had to dress up. So I never really got to experience too much of his dressy-ness. =(

Last night, when UG and I were talking, I realized that things do not work out when one person tries their hardest to sympathesize and empathesize with the other, who does not try at all. That was how we were. And perhaps things were so rocky because our ways of thinking are different, highly affected by our definitions of ourselves. I had never thought about it, but UG brought up the fact that I am Americanized. He so is too, but he still has many Vietnamese ways of thinking, being that he grew up there for like 8 or 9 years of his life.

Sigh. Me, the Asian American twinkie who can never be white enough to be American but who can never be yellow enough to be Vietnamese. I don't fit into either one of those categories. And those categories of people may never accept me. Perhaps I can only find acceptance from those who are stuck right in the middle with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home